Friday, January 18, 2008

Dalmatian Car w/RecliningBassLinda

Oxygene8 webmaster, Bill Lantz, posted this flyer on the O8 site, and when I saw it, I began to think of this project and wanted to write about it a bit. This concert was my Chapman Stick "debut"....... I had been playing electric bass, both in vertical, horizontal and supine positions..i.e., "reclining bass" before receiving the loan of a Chapman Stick from Stickist/Warr guitarist, Ian Variale, the Chapman which I eventually purchased and still play.
The concert at Alice Cooperstown was the first time I played the Stick in concert and I was very nervous, of course because not only was I playing the Stick the first time live, but we were opening for Tony Levin! We were going to play only a few songs with the Stick, but, thank you, my dear friends that came to see us for support.... I still remember how just knowing you were there calmed me down and held me up!
Thanks, Tres, for reminding me about the Brides. The Brides "Dalmatian Car" was another recording project with Tim Alexander..... him and I went nuts on the album..... Tim and I played bass, guitar and even some of the drum stuff on there together. I played the "reclining bass" on this album as well. It is a very self-indulgent artsy CD! The BRIDES was a cool little band with incredibly creative guitarists Jay Jones, then Tres Ikner and drummer John Henry Hilton, or "Hank," wonderful friend and musician from a past project, Brides of Science --a whole different story! We shortened the name to The Brides, but found it was taken by another band, so we looked to the title track of the album and began to call it Dalmatian Car and about that time began working with amazing drummer Christian Alvarez......these guys are really great players and were so crazy and so much fun to play with....I never knew what would happen next! I remember one night Chris jumped from his drum seat, over his cymbals and onto the shoulders of Tres while he was playing a frenzy of guitar. We just kept playing away, and amazingly there weren't any broken bones! Dalmatian Car morphed into something a bit more serious with the addition of Frank D'Angelo on guitar and "Hank" back again on drums. Actually, Hank drummed on a couple of tracks on The Brides "Dalmatian Car" cd as well. To get back to my original thought, Hank and Frank (a smile here) joined me on stage for the concert with The Tony Levin Band and I remember much about this concert...... especially when Tony laughed when he saw the "reclining bass." I was so nervous speaking with him about it that I kept clocking myself with my bass and the bass recliner! Very fun and dear times!
If you are reading this, thank you for your interest and friendship..... love and peace to you and all those in your heart. Peace to our world, RecliningBassLinda

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home